I have a very connected home, all built a few years ago around a Gen1 SmartThings Hub. I mix ZigBee, Z-Wave, Wifi and home-grown RPi or Arduino controlled devices. Hopefully this post will show some of the available options out there.
My Hub: SmartThings Gen 1 – It sometimes disconnects or their APIs go down for a few minutes, but overall it has been OK since Samsung bought them.
Connectivity: TP Link Powerline AV200 Nano ethernet to run it back to my Amplifi Mesh Wi-Fi router. These are insanely easy to pair. If your power is all on one circuit breaker, just plug them in and press the sync button on each.
I do not have my hub next to my router directly plugged in, since Gen 1 did not autodetect ZigBee interference and change channels.
- Amazon Echo, courtesy of Cohesity from my Storage Field Day appearance
- You tell it to import your devices from Smart Things, then setup rooms
- Amazon Echo Dot – In Office & Kitchen
- Sylvania Smart Home 73743 Lightify Smart Dimming Switch
- These are AWESOME! They go OVER your existing light switches. Single press up or down, or press and hold functionality. I wish these existed 4 years ago!
- I have these in almost every room in my house
- Aeon Labs Z-Wave Minimote
- For simple control of my devices anywhere in the house.
- Recharged via MiniUSB
- 8 buttons, with press/hold support
- I think it’s discontinued but still available some places online
- Visonic MCT-340 E Wireless Door Window Temperature Sensor
- My latest favorite, have over a dozen
- Thin profile
- Long range, good signal (works a few floors up, through walls/ceiling
- Long battery life
- Immediately detected
- Lowest price of any I’ve bought
- Ecolink Intelligent Technology Z-Wave Easy Install, Battery Operated, Door/Window Sensor, White & Brown (DWZWAVE2.5-ECO)
- I have about 6 of these
- Previous favorite before the Visonic came out
- GE Z-Wave Wireless Smart Lighting Control, Duplex Receptacle Outlet, On/Off, White
- Installed in-wall in my Office (Since I rent, I don’t like to install in wall, but my 3d printer and other electronics are on this so I wanted the safest method)
- Works well, never disconnected from hub
- I use previous gen 12721 model
- Samsung F-OUT-US-2 SmartThings Outlet
- Good to use as a Zigbee Repeater
- Side mount power button
- Light on it is bright, so I use it as a nightlight in a few spots
- Aeon Labs DSC06106-ZWUS – Z-Wave Smart Energy Switch
- High wattage (1875w) for larger appliances such as air conditioner
- It’s a beast
- Inovelli 2 outlet
- Works as a Z-Wave/Z-Wave Plus repeater
- 1 always on outlet, 1 smart outlet
- Zooz Z-Wave Plus S2 Power Strip ZEN20 VER. 2.0 with Energy Monitoring and 2 USB Ports
- Works well
- ST integration is weird with how the multiple ports are shown. Wish there were options for groupings or seeing it as sub devices
- Reports lots of values for reporting or actions
- Use this controller: https://community.smartthings.com/t/release-zooz-power-switch-zooz-smart-plug/97220?u=krlaframboise
- AVOID: Belkin Wemo Outlett
- This is utter crap!
- Don’t buy anything Wemo!
- Cree Connected Daylight Bulbs
- These are awesome!
- I do not think they are manufactured anymore. Buy any you can now!
- Home depot has stock left over.
- Sometimes SmartThings has problems with lighting routines with lots of lights
- (I have 9x of these in my kitchen in a single virtual device. ST or Zigbee dont like controlling that many at once. So I have to hit the button more than once)
Safety / Security
- Nest Protect Smoke Alarms
- In every room, hallway, basement
- It performs monthly sound and healthchecks
- Nightlight functionality for a few seconds when lights go off
- App enabled for silencing or warning when away
- Meshed: When one goes off, they ALL go off. They tell you where the primary issue is, spoken.
- Nest Cam – Outdoors
- Multiple outside, and on my turtle tank
- Simple to install, screw in aa base, Camera is magnetically mounted
- Good resolution
- Auto switches to night mode
- Power needs to be within 20ft, and in a secure area
- Nest Cam – Indoors
- Similar to above
- Buy in combo kits to save money
- It’s a puck. Comes with a stand
- $100/yr for 10 days history for the first, $50/yr for each after
- I 3d Print wall mounts (This mount is good for flat mounting https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2414713 )
- Yale Security Key Free Touchscreen Deadbolt with Z-Wave (YRD240-ZW-619) (Zigbee option also available)
- Works well
- Multiple codes can be programmed
- Can notify Locked/Unlocked/Unlocked for X time
- Can lock it via Smart Things app or API call
- Can NOT unlock via app, which is good for security
- First Alert Smoke Detector and Carbon Monoxide Detector Alarm | Z-Wave
- Bought for a VERY specific use case. (Auto triggering safety systems if 3d printer catches fire)
- I wouldn’t recommend for whole home coverage
- Go for Nest Protect Instead
Services & Misc:
- A web or app hub is great, but for complex routings, you’ll want IFTTT!
- Owned/ran by IFTTT
- Simple phone app. Press a button on app and it ties into IFTTT which ties into my IoT world
- Amazon Lambda
- Good for linking web based triggers or API calls to IFTTT to Devices and vice versa
- Used with Amazon IoTT Buttton
- Amazon IoT button
- On Press: Makes an API call to Amazon Lambda serverless web service
- Use Node.js or other languages to call out a program to fire actions.
- Raspberry Pi and Arduino
- When ever I need something one-off or specific done
- Example: Smoke or fire above my 3d printer
- IoT smoke detector alarms
- If temperature increases, trigger action
- Kills power to 3d printer outlet
- Triggers Arduino controlled servo
- Servo presses small bottle of fire extinguishing spray
I’m sure I forgot about something. I’ll add to this list later.